Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Goodwill Hunting

In my quest to find fashion in the unexpected state of Arkansas, I thought I would take a trip to a less than expected place. It just so happens it is extremely easy on the wallet and has a one-of-a-kind feel to every discovered piece. Thrift store shopping! During our lunch break, my friend Becky and I did some "vintage" scouting at the Springdale Goodwill (1860 W Sunset Ave, Springdale, (479) 927-2023).


I love, LOVE this silk dress Becky found for so many reasons. First, the goldy, nude color. What a great canvas for pops of colorful jewelry or scarves or platform heels. (Not with me on the nude color? Check out Who, What, Wear.) Then, I love the cut for the retro quality of the pronounced shoulders. She found this great belt to help nip in the dress to show off her wonderful feminine figure.


We hit the belt jackpot...I am talking real snakeskin belts for a $1!!!


While thrift store shopping takes patience, the reward is finding the holy grail through the hundreds of useless pieces. All in all, this trip was quite successful. I found a high waisted leather skirt (after staring at it for 10 minutes I finally decided it is actually REALLY good pleather), a MaxMara stretch tee, and Kenneth Cole green suede pumps.

Goodwill Hunting Recos: I usually find the most success with blazers (especially with the trend of slightly oversized, "boyfriend" blazers), cardigans, pencil skirts, clutch purses, belts, shoes, and wool or leather coats. Be sure and check the cut and materials carefully. My new fashion mantra is just because I don't pay a lot doesn't mean I shouldn't invest in quality with every dollar I spend. Look for silk, wool, and cotton. Finally, make sure your piece doesn't have any holes or stains. When you get home, launder or dryclean your clothes and wipe out your shoes with a Clorox wipe.

I want to hear your thrifting stories. What is your best vintage find? Don't have any? Well, what are you waiting for? Go out and get one!

1 comment:

  1. oooh. I'm loving your blog Erin! Okay, here's my thrift store find. On a last minute whim, Nathan decided to wear a tuxedo to our friend's VERY casual 40th b-day party. Hilarious...but we needed a tux in less than 4 hours. I trucked it to Cheap Thrills (LOVE) and found a great one that fit him pretty well for 40 bucks! The best part was all the other goodies I found while looking for his purchase. I didn't get anything for myself, but I'll be heading back for some summer clothes. I should make it a date with you who can be my personal stylist! I'm searching for a simple look like "Anthropologie". Help?!
    Again, Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete