Friday, August 7, 2009

Closet Intervention - Part 2

So now that you have purged and organized your closet (or at least thought about it), let's talk how to ideate fantastic outfits. Doing the prep work of creating 10 to 15 well thought out looks removes the stress of getting ready in the morning. Trust me ... this helps set a much better tone for the entire day.

3) Ideating

To get started choose 10 to 15 key pieces that you love or would love to create a look around. The pieces can be anything: pants, skirts, dresses, accessories, etc. Next, seek inspiration! Prior to an ensemble-building session, I get my fashion juices flowing by browsing through my favorite blogs, websites, and of course my trusty Lucky magazine. Don't take the inspiration too literally. Don't look for looks you can completely replicate because you likely won't find any. Instead, look for shapes, colors, and general concepts you can copy.

Once you are good and inspired, take one piece and begin to ideate and create. Think outside the box. Choose things to try that you never would. I made Katie try on three or four things before we found one outfit.

Here are the things I think about when I create outfits: Layer! I love vests, cardigans, and jackets. Layers make an outfit look more purposeful and put together. Use belts! Belts can transform an outfit's shape by taking a frumpy shirt and turning it into a sexy, hourglass look. Go for contrasting colors! I love two bright, off-setting colors that add a punch of intrigue. Seek balance! If you go flowy and voluminous on top, look for slim, streamlined pieces on the bottom (or vice versa). Finally, don't forget to accessorize! Choose layered necklaces or scarves to complete your look.

Once you are satisfied, be sure and take a picture. I use my cell phone, so I can easily browse through my options while standing in my closet.

Now to reveal some of Katie's new looks from her Closet Intervention ...

No comments:

Post a Comment